Is it bad for your cat to eat cold food from the fridge?

Dominga

My husband has started buying the large cans of cat food because it is cheaper, but rhe problem is I have to put the left overs in a container in the fridge. Should i let it get to room temperature before they eat it or will it go off by doing that? Also, what about raw beef mince? Can they eat that straight from the fridge?



Alline

Would You like to eat Your main meal cold from the frtidge? I know I wouldnt, unless it was a salad, and it was summertime. If You took it out of the fridge with enough time allowed to warm to room temperature, I dont think it will go off, unless it is the middle of summer, and You have no airconditioner.



Kaye

Temperature shouldnt matter, unless he/she wont eat it cold, like my cat (hes so picky!) just make sure that the food content itself is not bad for cats and you should be fine!!!



Malik

It is a good idea to keep it in the fridge. Thats what we do. And we just take it out of the fridge and let it sit for a few minutes before we give it to the cat. And she likes it. But it really depends on the cat. But i would watch out for a messy bathroom time just incase.



Alva

I also keep my canned food in the fridge but my cat eats it cold, and doesnt seem to mind. If i let it sit out for a while my cat would go crazy - he has no patience.



Judi

With many years of experience, I have had many felines in my home and worked with them as well. I had a female that would get sick to her stomach if I gave her cold food. I used to put her food on a dish and microwave it for 10 seconds. Id mix it up and give it to her. She never got sick to her stomach after I warmed it up. They can eat straight from the fridge, if the cat is happy with it. It really is a preference between cats and owners alike. As far as the raw beef mince given cold, I think the same rule would apply. It is totally up to you.



Galina

Its been scientifically proven that cats cant smell/taste cold food as well and arent likely to eat it as well as at room temp/slightly warm. think about it... a cat is a predator... a freshly killed animal isnt cold... its at body temperature. thats what cats respond best to... keeping things as close to their natural wild heritage as possible. warm meat smells/tastes a lot different than cold meat. warm it up a little. your cat will be much happier and eat it a lot better.



Laila

Cat food out of the Fridge is just fine.



Kandis

Its fine, they just may not like it. What you can do is put the leftovers youre about to feed in a sealed container and run that under hot water until it reaches room temp. They may find that more palatable. You could also nuke it for a second or two, but the problem with that is that cooking destroys nutrients, and when youre dealing with already processed foods, youre stripping out what little remains. So thats why heating it in water is best. Same is true for the raw beef - although I wouldnt serve beef on a regular basis.