How do you get your dogs to stop eating from the cats food dish?

Lelah

I have 2 dogs and a cat at my house. They each have their own food dish, the dogs obviously have dog food and the cat has cat food, but my dogs are always eating all of my cats food out of her dish, almost to where it is empty. How can I get my dogs to stop doing this? We already know we dont want to put the cats food dish on the table or counter.



Dianna

I get why you wouldnt want it put up on a counter or table-cats shed and its not too appetizing pulling the hair out of your food:P I do suggest putting it higher though where the dogs couldnt reach-get the cat his own little table up too high for the dogs, but low enouggh for the cat to jump to it. Or put in a secure shelf big enough for the cat to move around on and eat. There really is no other solution besides feeding it in a locked room, but I dont really agree with that. What if its not hungry then and has to wait a few hours to eat again and Ive heard some cats can be picky and it may not like that at all, so Id go with a high place for just the cats food where the dogs cant reach. You could even make little stairs for it out of something so it doesnt have to jump up to get there. Pick her up and take her up the first few times so she knows the purpose of it:) Hope I helped and good luck:)



Glennie

If you dont want to put the food up high (which to me is the best option) then put it in a room or area where only the cat goes the dogs have no access to. If no place exsits, then feed the cat every day in a locked room, what ever he doesnt eat put away til next feeding time. I still think you should put it up high...but yeah



Dorothy

If you find out please let me know!!! My dogs are the same way. You pretty much have to put it where they cant reach it.



Davis

My cat food dishes are on the table so the dog cant get itif you dont want it on the table put it on the bathroom counter or somewhere else up high



Ellsworth

I free feed my cats, so i just take up the food dish when the dogs are running around the house, and set it down when the dogs are in their kennels and overnight (when the dogs are obviously in their kennels for an extended period of time). This gives them at least 8 hours a day of uninterrupted feeding time, which is more than enough for them to finish their bowl off.