How long does canned cat food last in the fridge?

Klara

If I buy them in big cans, they are so cheap and I can afford Wellness... but I only have one cat. She refuses to eat any dry food I offer so I give her a little dry mixed in her canned. She would be able to finish a 12.5 oz can in 3 days...... is that too long in the fridge? What can I do to keep it fresher? Or should I stick to brands I can afford like Fancy Feast?



Cory

3 days would be the maximum. You are doing a great job sticking to the high quality food, I would not switch to fancy feast, its full of grain and not good. Also I wouldnt mix the dry in. Usually the dry is only stocked up with fillers and have close to no nutrition to your cat, plus if there is grain its really bad. Also dry are usually covered in bacteria which easily grows in wet enviroment, so mixing it could cause your cat some heath problems. Hope it helps. The sites below are excellent source of info on cat nutrition.



Temple

I wouldnt go over about 3 days in the fridge w/ canned cat food. Stick w/ a high quality food, I would NOT recommend switching to Fancy Feast. That is a very crappy food. I work at an Emergency Clinic and we keep food in the fridge for no longer then 3 days. Hope this helps!



Augusta

As long as you put a can lid over it and cover tightly, it will be fine for 3 days. You can get the lids at pet stores and Wal-marts. 3 in a package for about a dollar.



Claudie

Max 3 days. I when I had one cat I fed wet only diet from the big cans too, it took him 2-3 days to finish a can and the food never went bad. I put the canned food in another container, a glass Pyrex container.