How to make homemade cat food?

Ivana

How can I make homemade (wet) cat food? I usually feed my cats Natural Life dry cat food during the day, and canned wet food in the morning. But I want them to have more nutritional wet food, and I dont think the commercial products are good for them. Besides what I should make for them, how often should I give them wet food?



Barabara

I would feed the cat wet food exclusively. You can prepare homemade raw food for your cats easily but youll need some background information first. I suggest that you join the Yahoo raw feeding groups for support and information. For some information on cat nutrition read these to start. They are long, but worth it:http://catinfo. org/http://maxshouse. com/feline_nutrition. ht… There are many excellent canned foods. You will not find them in a supermarket, dept store, or even in some of the chain pet stores (they may carry a couple). Some premium canned foods are: Natural Balance, particularly Ultra and Chicken and Liver Pate, Wellness, Wellness Core, Innova Evo and Innova Evo Duck and Merricks. It is completely untrue that wet food rots a cats teeth! I have had some very elderly cats with good teeth and gums! None of them ate much dry food, I used it when I went away overnight only. My dear Elvira was in her early 20s when she died and she had them professionally cleaned only twice - the vet was amazed at her teeth (she never lost even one) and gums. Ill try to update this later. If you are intimidated starting out this company makes a product that takes all the guesswork out of making catfood. Here is the recipe I use for about half my cats raw food. Scroll down 1/4 of the page. You actually dont need a grinder for this if you are willing to chop everything up finely or chop some and put some chopped in the blender or food processor:http://www. felinefuture. com/?cat=28 The recipe shown is for use with that product which is a supplement mix.



Arianne

I free feed dry and put out about a tablespoon of wet once in the morning and once at night. Getting a cat to go human grade food can be much tougher than for dogs. I started by taking plain, baked chicken and chopping it up until it was pretty much dust. I then mixed about 1/2 a teaspoon into her wet food to get her used to it and increase the nutritional value. You can also try human baby food but I find that there are too many veggies in those.



Heriberto

What a great question. I actually give my cats natural home made food. ALthough there are many varitities, the best mixture is:Chopped beans or carrots-very smallmixed with chopped bits of chickenalso chop some cooked hard boiled eggs in-then pour some gravy on it, mix it, and store it in the fridge as needed. a little bit of catnip never hurts! This is a great recipie and very simple. My cat loves this dish and is very healthy!



Bertram

Cats are carnivores, it should be all meat and fish. Most dried foods have a lot of fish meal in them, carnivores cant metabolise vegetable matter, giving them too much veg will either shorten their lives through malnutrition or have them hunting a lot.



Delphine

Dry food is better for them as wet food rots their teeth, but you could try cooking some chicken in stock for them or cooking some red meat and gravy. Personally I would never go to those extremes for my cats bcos if they can be fussy they will.



Noel

The raw food diet is the most nutritional for your cat. It requires alot of research to learn to properly feed it though. Not providing the proper balance of nutrients can cause devastating health problems. Heres an article on homemade cat food but you need to enlist the help of a vet who has knowledge of raw feeding (not all do) so you get it right. While youre learning the proper way to prepare and feed a raw diet, you could try feeding the prepackaged raw meals sold in pet stores. http://www. catinfo. org/#Home-Prepared_Di…Dry food does not clean cats teethhttp://www. littlebigcat. com/index. php? ac…