What are the benefits of dry cat food vs wet cat food?

Orval

I have always fed her dry cat food...she seems to like it fine. I always wondered if I should mix it up...and give her some wet food too. I had a cat when I was a kid and we never gave her wet food...and she was just fine. Any advice?



Claretta

I heard from the lady in the PAWS shelter that moist food helps with keeping their urinary tract infection down. Since then mine gets a can a week split into 4 portions.



Belkis

A lot of people dont give their cats canned food and they are fine. My cat always has dry available plus he gets some canned food twice a day. Why? Because he likes the canned food.



Chanel

My cat loves wet cat food compared to dry. I give it to him about every other day or so just as a treat.



Lucile

I have always given my cat both. All dry is well...all dry. Not very tasty or close to their meaty food theyd get in the outdoors if they hunted. I buy natural, healthy types of cat food, they put a lot of garbage in pet foods these days so read labels. I get Natures Choice which is not expensive either.



Deloras

Canned cat food seems fresher, than dry



Saul

Dry cat food helps your cat not get tartar build up on her teeth. Wet food is yummier to her though. I give mine mostly dry, with Saturday morning wet food treats and they LOVE me even still ;)



Huey

My sister always gave her cat a mix because the dry was good for her teeth, and the wet was easier to digest.



Vanessa

I give my cats wet food every now and then as just a I love you snack but its like once or week or sometimes once a month even. They do not need it at all unless you feel there is a weight issue by means of the cat is to thin and needs a little more coaxing to eat more. Cats can become dependent on it quickly and will even cry for it. That gets annoying believe me! So if you do not have a weight issue continue what you are doing or give him a tiny bit every now and then.



Angelic

In my experince, it doesnt really matter if its wet or dry, but the quality and nutritional value of the food is what matters. Just like people, feed your animals food thats not good for them (ie - cheap store brands) youll have many health problems down the road, urinary tract problems, joint problems etc. Just make sure you have a high quality food, like science diet, and feed her healthy treats. Pretty easy really. =D hope this helps.



Rosemarie

Some of the benefits I have heard for wet food are that it has more protein and that cats do not need as many carbs as are in most dry foods and that most cats do not get enough water and wet food is a higher percentage liquid. On the other hand it is more expensive and dry food is better for their teeth. I think good quality dry food is fine for cats.



Anjanette

You should try to mix some in sometime. They have can covers if you dont use the whole can. But I wouldnt do it every day. I started to give my dog the mix after a year of only dry. Then one day I ran out and she wouldnt eat the dry alone. It took a while to get her back to it so now its like a once a week or twice a month treat.



Brooks

Dry food is better for the teethWet food is better for enticing underweight cats to eat more. Other than that, there are far more nutritional variations between brands than between wet vs dry.



Cecilia

Wet cat food can give your cat cavities and other tooth problems. A lot of the gravies used have sugar in it.



Annmarie

If your cat is happy with her food and not overweight I wouldnt worry about it. To read another opinion on dry food as toothbrush go to:www. littlebigcat. com and read Dr. Jean Hofves article, "Does Dry Food Clean the Teeth?"



Jamal

Just let me say my cat is ninteen yrs old and has eaten dry food all her life good luck



Hsiu

If you give your cat a lot of wet food it will give them the sh**s. Wet food to cats is kind of like junk food to us... only good in small portions.