How do you store canned cat food once its opened?

Kattie

Sometimes id like to buy the larger cans of cat food and feed my cat from it for a couple of days. but i dont know how to store it. can i put the remaining cat food in a tupperware-like container with lid store it in the fridge?



Chantell

If you go with the much larger cans - like soup sized cans - I would do as you suggested. Put it in another container and refrigerate it. If the cat objects to cold food you can nuke it for 2 seconds or run it (in another container) under warm water. With the 5.5 oz cans that I use, I would want to refrigerate them if they were going to remain out for much more than 24-30 hours. I used to give one cat 1/4 of a 5.5oz can at each meal. I started to find that some days the last 1/4 would smell a little off.



Alpha

Put a ziploc over the can and a rubber band around the can with the bac underneath it to hold it on. then put it in the fridge



Isabella

Quick and cheap - put it in a ziplock baggie, in the can, right side up, in the fridge. It definitely should be refrigerated but the cat may not like it cold so warm it up a little in the microwave.



Jetta

Yes you can. When you take it out to use again, ad a bit of water and warm it a bit in the microwave. not to warm but so it isnt cold



Carlita

I bought these neat plastic things to put on top of them almost like a lid for a pet food container it keeps for a few days



Rebekah

Yes, put the remaining food in the tupperware-like container and into the fridge. You can bring it to room temp in the microwave, or by setting the storage container in a bowl of hot tap water (I do the hot water in a bowl). Dont give kitty cold food right out of the fridge. Never store the excess food in the can.



Corrina

I dont no you put in tuperware and store it in a fridge that what i do hahahahaha why? geeez



India

Store it in your refrigerator by placing a lid, specially made for cat food cans, or aluminum foil over the top over the container.



Tomeka

You can wrap in saran wrap or Ziploc bag but they also make special lids that are just the size of a cat food can that are convenient and easy to use.



Apolonia

I cap it with a can capper and refrigerate it.



Dion

I put it in a ziploc bag in the fridge. a tupperware container works too.



Ashli

The big cans work out cheaper but the small ones are more convenient. I take big cans put a plastic can cover on it. They sell them right in the pet food aisle. Make sure to use it up within 2-3 days though. Glad to see Im not the only one spoiling my babies by warming up leftover food in the microwave! They even give me a dirty look if I serve it cold.



Shiloh

You could put cling wrap over it with an elastic band to keep it secure or you can buy reusable plastic lids from pet stores or the super market for on the can.