Are animal shelters more in need of cat food or dog food?

Frida

I have gotten coupons in the mail from Purina. I can get a free 10lb bag and a free 25lb bag. I am not feeding this to my pets (yuck), but Im donating it to the shelter. So, should I get 25lbs of cat food and 10lb of dog food, or vice versa? What are they more in need of? Thanks!



Camelia

Many areas are different. Call the shelter you plan on donating it to and ask them. But in general, dogs are bigger and eat more. So unless they have a lot of cats in their shelter, I would assume they need more dog food. I got these little sacks of purina dog food and treats in the mail a few months ago. I took them down to the local shelter. The lady acted like I was Santa Claus!! They dont get treats much apparently. So when I go to buy my dog a new treat, I always make sure to buy extra and take it to the shelter. I cant volunteer time (because I am allergic to EVERYTHING!!) but I can donate food and money. And every little bit counts!



Harlan

Generally shelters have business deals with Science Diet or another brand of pet food and that is what they feed to animals in the shelter. However, they still need food donated for the animals that go into foster care, In my experience, this time of year they are in the most need of Kitten food - both canned and dry. Thats Kitten - not Cat. It never hurts to call your local shelter and just ask what they need. They might even have brands that they have banned due to the fact they have had so many problems with a particular brand - thats what my local shelter does anyhow.



Cherish

Well I think It would depend some shelters have more cats then dogs and some shelters have more dogs then cats. You could ask a staff member and they might help. But if it is a surprise you could go on their website (if they have one) and they might have inventory of the amount of animals they have. Its possible but i would imagine that they have more dogs then cats but thats just me. Good luck and I love how you are helping animals because I love them!



Rod

Depends on the shelters area. Most shelters have more stray dogs or they have larger breed dogs which consume more. If I were you, I would buy 25lbs of dog food and 10lbs. of cat food. Either way, whatever you contribute is a help for these animals. (Just dont tell them that the only reason you are donating is b/c you think Purina is nasty and wouldnt give it to your dogs - thats just rude.)



Brigette

It depends on your area. Try calling your shelter and asking them what they could use more. We tend to go through more dog food in our rescue. we have four times as many cats, but one pit bull or lab will eat what half a dozen cats will in a single day.



Clemmie

Blankets and laundry detergent, toys and leashes. Petsmart usually donates food to the animal shelter. i donated food alsoBut i kindof feel like they would throw out food that they dont like..idk. Ill take the food:)



Alayna

I dont know depends on the amount of dogs in your shelter, and cats. But I would say dog food since, dogs need to eat more than cats.



Annemarie

Probably 25 lbs dog food and 10 lbs cat food.



Barbar

They are in need of whatever you have it does not matter.



Anastacia

DOG BECAUSE THEY AER MORE OF THEM AND THEY EAT MORE



Renita

Probably dog food b/c dogs eat more and they keep way more dogs than cats in the shelter



Genny

Get more dog food. they eat a lot more. :)



Holley

Dog Food...and thank you for caring...