How much food should my cat be eating?

Flora

My domestic short hair cat is kept indoors and Im pretty sure that she is being over-fed. Her actual weight is about 16 pounds and she looks pretty hefty. We feed her dry cat food.



Mirta

If you are leaving food out all the time thats a problem. I feed my cats a really good food so they actually digest what I give them. Believe it or not, my biggest most active cats get 1/4 cup or 1/2 of a 5.5 oz can twice a day. Several of the smaller, older ones only get 1/8 cup or 1/3 can twice a day. Theyre all in great shape! If youd like to see them email me Ill be glad to show you pics.



Halina

My cat is about 14.0 pounds and the vet told me that a 5.5oz can of canned food is enough. Be sure and split the can, give half in the morning and the other half in the evening. I still leave a little dry food out but not more then a cup or he will gain way to much. I find Nutro Max Cat Indoor Chicken formula is a good dry food and there canned food is just as good. If you find your kitty is still gaining weight cut back on the dry food. Remember lots of clean fresh water to. Cheers.