Would you give a cat food that says on the packet unfit for human consumption?

Carola

A while ago I bought some cat food and when I got the packet home, I noticed that on the back of the packet there was a warning saying that this food is not safe for human consumption, I threw them away immediately. Luckily I read it before I gave my babies the treats. For to me if it is not safe for us to eat then why put it on the shelves and expect us to feed them to our cats. So I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. And if there is anyway to petition against this?



Lisabeth

Not a chance. I will only feed the very best to my girls. Unfortunately, many people - and vets - are simply ignorant of the facts. I was too once - it was only since spending time out here that I learned about cat nutrition. I can only hope that this recent tragedy will help to educate the masses about proper feeding of their darling little carnivores! EDIT: It appears that some clarification is in order. Of course we understand that cats can eat things we cannot. Such as raw meat. Nor am I going to catch and eat mice. The point we are making is that we want our babies to get GOOD QUALITY FOOD. I worked in a butcher shop. After hacking a chunk off the side of beef and trimming it up to become a lovely sirloin to put in the case, the scraps that were removed were tossed into a special barrel which were collected by a special company (Anamax). These barrels would sit outside in the sun, rotting and covered with flies. Its these rancid leftovers that have been known to go to pet food companies. Yep, thats meat all right. And I guess chicken feet could be described as chicken. That may be an extreme example - but the point is - Id rather feed the sirloin than the scraps to my cat.



Agnus

Its scary what they put into pet food nowadays... I did some major research when I started to work for a mobile vet. She was great and really cared about what and how the pets were.. go to this link you will be shocked...her main page is http://www. carinrennings. comI am the one standing beside her in front of the truck.... she is a great vet and has some great info on her website..go check it out..smileEDIT:this is a research paper I found for her while I was working for her that tells exactly what your pets are eating and why its not fit for human consumption..not that it has different vitamins in it its because they put rendered meats, road kill and some really bad stuff in it... they are allowed a % of unknown type stuff...please read this article it was written by someone other than me and is a published paper!!:http://www. carinrennings. com/homevet/wp-…EDIT: dont be haters and give thumbs down until you actually do some research as to what goes into pet food... I have done the research and it is scary....but the world does not get this knowledge because of the huge companies that own pet foods... research please..and quit the hating!!!



Owen

Well yeah. Cat food aint meant for humans. Like some human food aint good for cats, but we still buy it because its good for US.



Gertude

That is very true. I agree. Maybe if you checked the ingredients there is a chemical inside.



Candelaria

Because cats require a different balance of nutrients than we do - theyre also not troubled with certain bacteria that trouble humans. Theres also the whole what cat food is made of which is mostly meat products left over from the production of human food. Cats are animals that have different digestion than humans thus they can eat things we cant. Personally, I wouldnt groom myself the way my cat does. Loosen up.



Leone

No flipping duh! cats have waaaayyyy different nutritional needs than people do. people cannot, just CANNOT eat cat food because we would get sick. cat food is made specifically for C-A-T-S. hello? anybody home?



Lanita

I agree with you!!!! Who would feed their pets that!?!?!?!?!!?!And yes, write to the company about your feelings. Then, start an online petition on a website(google it) and get people to sign it! Good luck, and tell me how to sign is because I will!



Cody

ITS CAT FOOD... and unfit for human consumption..not unfit for cat consumption, we have 4 cats, and seeing some of their kills, well the food in the packet is going to be cleaner...



Hollis

For sure not. why would you give your cat something you, yourself couldnt eat?



Brigette

I wouldnt feed anything to my pets that said its not safe for human consumption. Its really disgusting what they put in the cheaper pet foods.



Greg

A cat will refuse to eat anything that is bad or off. You did right throwing it away but cat/dog food is taste tested regularly by humans before being sold anyway. i think the law says it must be fit for human consumption to be sold in this country. Might have a trading standards issue here!



Albert

I do not have any cats, I have dogs, but the same principal applies; I adore my pets and I want them to live long and healthy lives. They certainly won`t be able to do that if I feed them rubbish food. Whilst we all know that cat food is meant for cats and not people, the fact that the manufacturers find it necessary to state this on the tin puzzles me just a little. If it is healthy food for the cat it should not do harm (in small quantities) to a human. So this immediately makes me wonder exactly what is in the contents of the tin. If it is not fit for me to eat, I certainly would not give it to my pets.



Charita

Sorry to say, but alot of food that humans eat, whhich are not fit for Pet Consumption. Onions are not good for dogs, Rich foods(that humans love) and chocolate are bad for both cats and dogs. A lot of pet foods have extra fats which we dont need but some animals who are kept inside dont have access to them in their diet We wont eat a half decayed mouse or bird, but a Dog/Cat would.



Akilah

Yes if some crazy cat food maker made it for cats and not humans then then dont buy it! i hate it!!!!!! buy fancy feast. it is a good brand.



Evan

I would definitely throw that garbage away-a petition is a good try-but is a long shot for it to discontinuing the product!



Cristal

I would have tossed it out too. I am always reading the label anyways because if Kiki gets into anything with seafood, he gets sick and it wasent from the food recalls, hes been like this all of his life.



Carlita

I fully agree with you!! I would never give that to my cats! You can find a store near you that will have extra healthy treats by checking out these sites www. natura. com and www. canidae. com! You are a SMART pet owner!



Coral

I have to agree with you on that. I am now buying human-grade kitty food for my cats.



Delana

Please, nothing a cat eats is fit for humans. their system is nothing like ours. You feed cats food that would kill a dog. Cats have the ability to consume almost anything, well that is anything except for whatever it is that is in that plant that comes from South America that is currently in all the cans that are being recalled. There was no need to throw away that bag that you did, you are not a cat. Your cat doesnt eat what you eat. Does your cat eat the same dinner you eat. I bet it isnt thrilled with pizza or bread, or probably not cooked meat. Dont look at your cat as if it were a human, its an animal, no matter how much you love it, its not a human and its food needs are different than yours.



Malka

I think there was a time when the mad cow disease got into pet food because of recycling of animal parts. But I believe that is no longer the case. No, Id feed my cat that, unless it was spoiled. It seems like my cats favorite seasoning is dirt.



Debbie

I actually heard that the stuff they put in cat food is good enough for people to eat! I think that the least our pets deserve is the best food possible!



Amee

God you lot are so obsessed about stupid things. a cat is a cat. it eats cat food. you i assume, eat human food. the 2 shouldnt mix. would you eat a mouse? no, but a cat would. providing youre not mental and selfish by keeping your cat indoors like some weirdos on here.