How long does dry cat food last at your house?

Donnetta

How many kilos or pounds is the pack? How many cats do you own? Do you feed them wet cat food too? My husband thinks I use too much...he bought a 1kg (2.2pounds) box of cat food last week and I asked him to get more and he thinks it should have lasted longer. I have two cats plus another which i am feeding but my husband doesnt know about...



Annamarie

Depends on the brand. The better the food they need less of it. Also the vet told me you dont have to feed as much as it says on the package. They want to sell more. Feed your cat until it stops eating then take the dish away. Two or three times a day. Ive been feeding my cat Medi Cal hypoallergenic because thats what the vet said to do. But there are lots of good brands. The small bag lasts my one cat about two months. At night I give her a bit of Friskies canned because she likes that.



Adrien

If it doesnt eat it it will last longer than your cat.



Ema

We buy the 5 pound bags of T/D prescription dry cat food from the pet hospital (which is only a few blocks away, so its convenient). I dont know if you can buy it in the grocery store. My finicky cat loves it, which is saying something, and its also really good for them because its is formulated according to the cats age, from kitten to older cat. Tango, our orange tabby, eats wet food when theres nothing else, but mostly he subsists on dry food and turkey breast and ham slices, with cooked chicken when were having chicken for dinner. So your husband has actually calculated that youre feeding another cat but he doesnt know it? (Yet?) Why not just confess? Well, you must have your reasons. The good news is that most people overfeed their cats and as a result they dont live as long, so cutting down a bit on the portions might be a good idea anyway.



Bonnie

Hahaha. I never know, because my cats eat it too fast



Dorothy

First of all I would NEVER feed Science diet, perscription diet(vets reccomend it only because hills the makers teach vets), Beneful, Purina Cat Chow, Purina One. pretty much anything you find in a grocery store. I feed my cat a natural cat food called Innova. Its holistic and my local pet feed retailer stocks it. Great food and my cat aprooves. I purchase 5 pound packs and my cat eats half a cup of kibble in the morning and evening.



Kanesha

I buy 2kg bag last me month, i feed 2 cats, but they do have meat also



Amado

I have 4 cats and feed each of them a 1/4 can (12 oz can size) of canned food every morning. I leave a dispenser out with dry food all the time. One of my cats ONLY eats the dry food. A 2lb bag (1 kilo) will last me about a week with 4 cats. As long as the cats are active and not getting fat, leave the food out for them to snack whenever they want. If they start to fatten up (outside of normal winter fat), control their diet. But that would mean regular feedings and if both of you work, that could be hard. Hungry cats without food WILL protest in one form or another. Be it poo-ing in shoes, climbing the curtains, or scratching the wall paper, they will do something to let you know that they arent very happy with the way things are going.



Edra

I buy a 20lb bag of dry cat food and it will last me about 1 to 1 1/2 months and I have three cats. They are on full feed, so there is always dry food out for them to eat. And then they share two cans of wet food every other day as a treat... What you are using sounds about right actually.



Carlyn

I only feed canned food, but I use dry Evo as the occasional treat and to flavor the chicken necks Ive been giving them (I have 2). So a bag lasts me quite a while. I buy the smaller size bag and I had it for a few months. Im not sure what amount of dry food is recommended. Probably somewhere between 1/2 and 1 cup per day per cat.



Dania

Well..Dry food tends to have a lot of fillers in it that cats dont need but its convenient to feed. Many like the science diets are expensive but actually contain a lot of ingredients that can cause health problems like diabetes, allergies and kidney disease. If you must feed dry then consider looking at some of hte higher end foods that dont have as much wheat/corn/rice/soy in them, or go to canned foods that are also without those ingredients. Cats need anywhere from 10-20 calories per pound of cat per day.....