What cat food is high in fiber for cat that gets constipated?

Birdie

I have a cat that gets constipated often. He has been at the vet several times for it and has had enemas. I noticed that the canned food that he eats has lowered the fiber content. What canned food has a high fiber content that I can switch him to? I have 3 other cats so I prefer to first try a food that is not a prescription food.



Alyson

Have you spoken to the vet about any drugs that would help him? Constipated cats can be helped greatly by one or both of the following: lactulose and cisipride (Propulsid). When an all-canned diet isnt enough, then it could be time to add one of the two laxatives. It really isnt pleasant for a cat to get constipated and get enemas, and these drugs can help very much. Has the vet done x-rays to determine if hes got a condition called megacolon? Something you might want to mention at your next trip to the vet.



Bethanie

Try raw meat and fish. Also make grass available for ur cats. I also was heard that you can mix grass and raw meat mixed and give to cats, but never tried at home as my cat eats grass a lot. I suppose you can cook some barley and mix with food. Barley is extremely good for that and cats dont mind it.



Mirian

You could try giving him prepared raw meat:http://pet-nutrition. suite101.com/article. cfm/home_prepared_natural_cat_foodI am looking into switching my cat onto this diet due to constipation issues. I think maybe just feeding him some raw meat every few days could help the rest of his food digest. Also make sure he is getting plenty of clean water.



Eryn

You could try mixing some canned pumpkin with his normal food - they often like it and it seems to help with bowel problems (diarrhoea as well as constipation). As I cant get canned pumpkin easily here I tend to use cooked courgette/zucchini instead - that also seems to help.