Cats - Are They Useless or Not?




Nine times out of ten, one or more of our cats will be so infuriated about there being no food dished out for them by 6.00am when they are hungry, they will gently paw me on the face, presumably to wake me up. Of course I just turn over and mumble at them to go away. This would not seem to be the thing to do as far as they are concerned. Totally unacceptable, after all, they are hungry. The gently pawing at the face takes on an altogether more menacing tone. The claws come out. Now the situation has turned around, this behaviour has now become totally unacceptable for me! By the time I've managed to shoo the cats I'm totally awake. I might as well just get up. Sleeps now over.

Now, do the cats

get my breakfast for me? No!

bring in an income? No!

cost money to feed? Yes!

leave messes around the house? Yes!

always want to sit on the computer keyboard? Yes!

cause expensive vet bills? Yes!

cause worry? Yes.

Why on earth then do I have cats? It would seem to be such a stupid thing to do, what with all the negative things about them.

I suppose I'd better try and think of some positive things I guess.

I ponder this question on a cold but fine and sunny morning, as I sit with my cup of tea on the concrete seat by the shed. I glance around and notice there are 5 cats also sitting around me, just quietly sitting. That's nice. No demands, no meowing for food, no head butting for pats. Just sitting around. It's quiet pleasant actually. Like we're all sharing the morning. Oh, I suppose that's a positive isn't it.

Oh yes thinking about it I guess there are sometimes I enjoy the cats.

When I'm watching TV my little girl Hope will jump up on my lap, find a comfortable position and just sit there., purring away. I find myself unconsciously petting her, it's very pleasant and relaxing, and I can see she enjoys it, I guess I enjoy it to.

When I arrive back home after being out there's often a mass arrival of cats coming to met me. They each line up for a pat as though to welcome me back home. I enjoy that, makes me feel wanted and appreciated.

When I go out to the letterbox to get the paper, there's a string of cats following me, just hanging out with me, sharing the day.

They always take an interest in any gardening going on around the section, apart from the lawn mowing of course, that's far to noisy.

So

Yes, my cats are a problem at times, I have to feed them, worry about them, clean up after them, take them to the vets and all the other things that take time and money.

But

For all that, I would not wish it be any different. As far as I am concerned, having the cats is an enriching experience, and I believe I am the better person for it.