Hello what would be the best brand of premium dry cat food for a cat with recurrent cystits?

Lavinia

Its my dads cat. He never takes him to the vet. I took him earlier and he was diagnosed with Cystitis (bladder infection). He told me to change his diet, since he is on a really cheap and low quality food.



Ardell

Nutro is a good product, as are most of the premium brands (Eukanuba, Hills/Science Diet, Iams). Most vets I know recommend a wet food for cats with Cystitis or recurring bladder issues. This is to increase the moisture in the diet. That is what they recommended for one of my cats and it has made all the difference in the world! I was amazed. (we switched one meal a day to canned food, he still gets dry food in the morning to help with his teeth and a couple of tartar control treats a day) Most vets prefer cats to be on dry food for the dental benefits but in the case of bladder or kidney issues wet food is sometimes best. Although frankly anything will be an improvement over cheap low quality food.



Allyson

I would go with an Iams prescription diet. You are right to think as you are about what vets advise as I know they sometimes get breaks on feed and medicines for using them in their practice and suggesting them to others. You should never feed low quality grocery store bought food.



Anissa

I feed my cats royal canin dry food. it is all natural and has no fillers or animal bi-products. i also give them a treat of wet canned food about 4 times a week. look for a natural canned formula as well like wellness. i give them each a little less than a golf ball size.



Buddy

At least that vet is selling decent food and not Science Diet. The Nutro does use human-grade meat in its formulation and unfortunately has too much grain to be really right for a cat. For a male cat with a tendency for urinary problems a diet of canned food is really best. Natural Balance, Wellness would be good for starters. Other canned foods are good and contain a lot of vegetables. With them my cats eat the meat and leave the carrots, potatoes, peas etc on their plate. Natures Organic has a good canned food too. One 5.5 to 6 oz can per day is usually enough for a cat. You can open it and give half in the AM and put the remainder in a glass dish for the evening meal. Dont leave food in the can as it gets an "off" taste. It does not have to be refrigerated if you use it in one day. If that seems to be not quite enough you could get a bag of Solid Gold (comes in 4 lb. bags) and let the cat have some of that during the day. The moisture in the wet food goes a long way toward preventing urinary problems.



Arthur

Go with what your vet recommends!



Akilah

Royal Canin Urinary SO, it protects against both types of stones, and helps against idiopathic cystitis (unknown cause) My cats are on it because one of them was blocked, it works well, its expensive but well worth it.



Arnita

Purina One is what my vet told me to start feeding my cat, she is doing great!



Alfredia

I think Science Diet makes a dry catfood thats formulated for cats that tend to have urinary tract problems. Its sold at the vet and at pet supply stores.