What is the best cat food for a cat diagnosed with urinary tract blockage?

Shenita

My cats vet recommended Science Diet or Eukanuba with low ph. My cat had surgery several years ago for a blocked (crystals) urinary tract system. The vet at the time said he would always have to be on their special vet diet food (low ph Eukanuba or Science Diet). A new Vet has since taken her place and he has not given me a straight answer. I was wondering if anyone else knows of a food that is low in ph that can be fed to a cat that has had crystal blockage. Oh, before he had the crystal blockage, I was feeding him Friskies because that was all that he would eat. The vet told me that was what caused it; that and stress from getting a new dog addition to the family.



Lucretia

You need to feed him a perscription food for the rest of his life C/D by Science diet or U/R by purina



Wilber

I have a cat that is 15 years old and had urinary Tract blockage was on the science diet cd for a couple of years and still got blockage. 2 yrs ago was given 3 new born kittens, I switched to meow mix original choice cat food. he has not had 1 urinary problem in 2 .yrs and he did not keep cd down



Glayds

I recommend Iams for all cats, including the ones who are diagnosed with something. As someone once told me, the less ash in cat food, the better.



Beverlee

Science Diet C/D or S/D depending on the type of crystals in the urine. I would ask your vet again for specifics. These type of foods are vet prescribed and can only be purchased at a vet clinic



Etha

Our male cat developed this problem several years ago. Weve tried several different foods, but the only one that seems to work reliably and keep him in good health is Nine Lives with Plus Care.



Martine

I had the same thing, though thankfully my cat never needed surgery. I would stick to the prescription food, but check into some of the commercial products since so many now have created foods similar. Read the ingredients and see if the numbers match up. If so, you might have an alternative. Or ask another vet, if possible. Why wouldnt the new vet give you info? From personal experience, I can tell you I did attempt to change my cats diet at one point, but we had more blockage, so it was back to the Science Diet. Wow, did I feel bad.



Phillis

Sounds like the vet is up on his knowledge. You dont have to use those foods necessarily. They just have something in it called methionine which is a urine acidifer. A cats urine should be naturally slightly acidic. One of my cats had this problem and the vets said he would have to eat that special food for the rest of his life. I switched him and my other cats to a raw meat diet (naturally a little acidic) and he never had any more urinary problems. Stress can bring on a urinary "crisis".



Cori

Your cat must stay on hills c/d for the rest of his life or he will get blocked again. Purina makes a food that does the same thing. Im a vet tech and have had the same thing happen to me you must keep your cat on this diet for the rest of his life. the food is a prescription not just food. if you are not happy with the answers the new vet is giving you call the office and ask to speak to the office or practice manager. you must feel comfortable with your cats Dr. Im a vet tech with 22 years of experience and know a few things. write your questions down next time you see the Dr. and do leave until you are satisfied with all the answers. if you are still unhappy look for a new Dr.



Alysa

A urinary usally is caused by giving toooo much potien in their diet. i was giving my cat to much fish, ect and thats what caused it.



Hyun

Science Diet is crap - some vets promote this food because the food PAYS them for selling the food... Science Diet is over priced for its quality because they actually paid for vet endorsment.. and truth is that vets recieve very little or NO actual training in school about food and ingredients...Eukanuba used to be good but was bought out by Proctor and Gamble (as was IAMS too) several years ago and they dumbed the food down quite a bit.. so its not good anymore.. (plus linked to animal cruelty)Friskies is crap, it may have contributed to the problem.. milk and calcuim (from fish) also are common contributorsif you are in CANADA the best food for Urinary problems is NUTRAM.. if your are in the USA I think its CANIDAE or WELLNESS.. compare for lowest Magnesium...interetingly enough because NUTRAM is made in Canada its often less costly than some of the poorer quality AMerican made foods its the best stuff I know because they export to Europe they have to meet tougher standards than we North Americans have ( I dont beleive they sell in USA because the American market is already flooded with foods)



Clarissa

Ive had the same problem with my male cats mostly but i did have it with afemale too so, go get yourself some Iams its the best Ive never had a problem since we started using it. Also watch giving alot of fish flavor its not to good for them. I buy sardines in oil once in awhile but thats it.



Lavina

No clue