Is there an alternative thats cheaper for vet prescribed cat food?

Charlott

My cat has crystals in her urine that built up and made her bleed in her pee, now the vet says she must stay on a vet prescribed cat food they carry, but its a pretty penny. What else can I do or is there any cheaper brands or could I mix some of her old dry food w/ the vet one? I love her and hate to sound so cheap, and I want her to live a healthy carefree life, so just wondered if anyone else had same issue, any advice helps!



See

No you dont sound cheap. I personally am not a big fan of prescription food. It would be best to get her off any dry food (commercial or prescription) all together. But if you want to keep a little dry food available for between feedings, at least add moist/canned food to her diet daily. I would suggest twice daily at the minimum. Cats are not big water drinkers and get most of their moisture from the food they eat. The lack of moisture in dry food causes a variety of urinary tract problems. You can even add a little water to her wet food. I mix about a third of the can of food with water and my cats love it. I started doing this years ago when I my oldest kitty was diagnosed in renal failure. You can also give her a treat of meat flavored baby food, just be sure it is not the ones that have onions in them. I use Beech Nut and Gerber. You can give her a spoonful (mixed with a little water, too) and a jar would last for 3-4 feedings. The other thing is I have yet to see any of the vet prescription foods that have any ingredients that are designed for a carnivorous animal. If you will read the ingredients in what your vet insists on kitty eating, I bet you will find corn, by products etc, but little to no actual meat. I know, I have been there with a kitty in renal failure, a diabetic kitty and now a kitten with IBD that I am fostering for a rescue I volunteer with. I have better results with a regular diet than with the prescription foods that the vet pushed. The best thing to do is your own research. Here is a good website for cat nutrition, written by a veterinarian and cat lover. She addresses crystals in her illness section under "Cystitis (bladder inflammation), Bladder/Kidney Stones, Urethral Blockage". There also so great books for animal care written for the pet owner. Two of my favorites are Dr. Pitcairns "Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs Cats" and "The New Natural Cat" by Anita Frazier. You can find inexpensive copies on Amazon or eBay. Purrs to you and kitty.



Bradly

You might get some real passionate responses from people who hate pet food companies and vet prescribed food. The first thing to try and find out is what type of crystals were formed. If struvite, acidification of the urine works, and there are commercial products that will do that are available in pet stores. But if oxalate crystals, then dietary approaches are necessary. And vet prescribed food comes from companies that have devoted a great deal of time and effort in formulating the proper diet. Freelancing can give higher vet bills that wipe out food cost savings. And some cats form both crystals types. One approach you can try is to give her some Cosequin, which has the benefit of strengthening the bladder wall. Then, try her regular diet, and watch her closely. If she runs into trouble again, then you have no real choice.



Angelique

Ask the vet what is similar on the market.