How do you get your dog to stop eating the cat food and the cat to stop eating the dog food?

Carlee

I already started feeding my cat on the table (which I dont like doing) but its the only place my dog cant get the food. Now, my cat has started eating the dog food on the floor and neglecting her food.



Adina

Same deal here! ERRR i hate cats on the tables and stuff but i did it! not sure if this is what you do or not but this does seem to work! we have feeding times at our house! the dog gets fed at a time and if he dont eat it all at that time he loses! only water dish out then! he has upto 1/2 hour to eat his food! if he dont it waits till the next feeding! they learn quick and noticed the schedual and eat it up when asked! now i dont have to worry about my dogs food getting ate by the cat! the cats are the same way tho they dont eat it all! and i dont care but they get there food at the same time! worth a shot and its healthier for your dog not to just leave a full dish out! plus if you dont that you dont know how much he is really intaking and if youw atch you will learn alot about their systems! and if once learnt you only need to let the dog go out side for poo 1-3 times if you do it right! now pee is a different story



Laci

Its funny, but neither of my dogs really bother with the cats food that is right next to their dog food, but the cats love the dogs food. I just put some of it together with their cat food and they are pretty happy. Or just let them eat the dog food



Ardelia

Lol I have the same trouble, the puppy wants the cat food the cats want the puppy chow......I have a utility room off the kitchen where I now feed the cats and keep the litter pan (puppy has a fascination for cat poop, too, I had to rush to scoop or change the litter as soon as the cats have finished lol). Altho it has a door I can close, I now have a tension baby gate across it...the cats have total access, Poochie doesnt. As far as the puppy chow problem, I feed my papillon twice a day and ride shot gun over the bowl so the cats dont muscle their way in....I dont place food on the floor and let the dog nibble all day...what puppy doesnt eat in 30 minutes gets tossed so the dog has learned scheduled feedings and that has made potty training alot easier. You gonna have to add vigilance and some tough love to the feeding, Hon....feed the pupy twice a day at a specific time and keep the cat from horning in, and feed the cat in another room with a door or a gate to stop the dog....good luck.



Amos

Scheduled feeding times for the dogs, and put the cats food somewhere up high. My cats food is on top of my dryer so the dogs cant get it.



Ileen

Feed your dog on a scheduel dont give unlimited food. After 20 minutes pick up the food and neither can get the the other cause its been put away.